My great grandfather, Eugene Charles McCarthy, otherwise known as “Eugie Mac” was born on the 28th January, 1871 to Eugene McCarthy and Hannah McSwiney at the Market Square. He lived a full and active life involve in sports, politics and local affairs, and after a brief illness, succumbed to an attack of acute lobar pneumonia passing, on the 8th June, 1923, at the age of 52. Surrounded by family and friends, his body was interred in the old family plot located within the walls of Kilbarry’s ancient church dedicated to St. Finbarr.
Death and Funeral of Mr. Eugene C. mCcarthy, Dunmanway
DUNMANWAY RACE COMMITTEE: RESOLUTION OF SYMPATHY
Death of Mrs Mccarthy, Market square, Dunmanway
- MacCarthy, F. (2019). Mortuary Card of Eugene C. McCarthy: 1923. From writers own collection.
- Death And Funeral of Mr Eugene C. McCarthy (07 July 1923), The Southern Star. Retrieved from irishnewsarchive.com
- Dunmanway Race Committee (07 July 1923), The Southern Star. Retrieved from irishnewsarchive.com
- Dunmanway Doings (16 June 1923), The Southern Star. Retrieved from irishnewsarchive.com
- MacCarthy, F. (2019). General Michael Collins speaking at a public meeting, the Market Square, Dunmanway, circa 1922. From writers own collection.